The Prescription Drug Round Up, held each spring and fall, is a safe place to dispose of expired, unwanted prescription drugs.
More than 1.8 million pills have been collected at the Washoe County Round Up events since October 2009. The September 2015 Round Up netted over 2,100 pounds of prescription drugs.
WHY DISPOSE OF YOUR UNWANTED PRESCRIPTION DRUGS?
Rates of prescription drug abuse are increasing throughout the country, and studies show that a majority of abused prescription drugs are obtained from family and friends. The community is safer without unneeded prescription drugs in a home with the potential for abuse by young children or others. Proper disposal of unused medicines is a public health issue since the environment can become polluted by medicines that are thrown away or flushed down toilets.
WHAT CAN I BRING?
Unused/expired prescription medications, nonprescription pills, and prescription liquids in the original container. Feel free to remove any personal identification from the container.
WHAT ABOUT SHARPS?
Sharps are collected at the Round Up. If you’d like to dispose of sharps at another time, please contact Northern Nevada Hopes at 775-348-2893 or review the following information: Sharps Disposal Card
WHAT IF I CAN’T ATTEND?
The best way to dispose of old prescription drugs is to use a take-back program, however, if a take-back program is not available there are other quick and easy ways to dispose of old prescription drugs:
- Mix them in with something to help them break down. Follow the easy steps below for quick home disposal.
- Take the medications out of their bottles.
- Mix them with something unappealing like kitty litter or coffee grounds.
- Seal the medication/kitty litter mixture into a bag or disposable container like a plastic detergent bottle and throw away.
- Dispose of unwanted prescription drugs at permanent prescription drug drop boxes located in the lobbies of the Reno Police Department, Sparks Police Department and Washoe County Sheriff’s Office during regular business hours.
WHAT IF I STILL HAVE QUESTIONS? Call us at 775-324-7557.
WASHOE COUNTY SPONSORS: Join Together Northern Nevada, Incline Village Community Hospital, Nevada Society of Health System Pharmacists, Northern Nevada Hopes, Northern Nevada Outreach Team, Reno Police Department, Raley’s, Retail Association of Nevada, SaveMart, Sparks Police Department, Truckee Meadows Water Authority, U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, Walgreens, Washoe County Department of Water Resources, Washoe County Sheriff’s Department, Waste Management.