JTNN’s Environmental Strategies Coalition was first formed in May 2000 in an effort to address the underage drinking problem in Washoe County. Comprised of local business leaders, law enforcement personnel, educators and substance abuse prevention professionals, the Environmental Strategies group works together to reduce underage drinking by limiting alcohol access to those under 21 years of age. In addition, the Environmental Strategies group works toward keeping marijuana illegal as a recreational drug.
Some of the group’s activities include:
- Collaborating with local law enforcement to coordinate alcohol sales compliance checks to ensure that local retailers are not selling alcohol to underage youth.
- Working with a number of partners to develop policies at community sporting events this discourage underage drinking.
- Partnering with University of Nevada, Reno Student Services to identify students who may have had difficulty with alcohol and providing them with brief screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment, as appropriate.
- Partnering with Quest Counseling and Consulting to develop and present an ongoing alcohol retailer and server training program in Washoe County.
- Partnering with various groups, organizations, and individuals to promote a Reno City Social Host ordinance in which landlords and homeowners are held accountable to restrict unruly gatherings (often involving underage drinking) in the properties they own.
- Working closely with local bars and clubs to develop the Real Bar Campaign. Real Bar engages owners and management to ensure that their servers and security staff are trained in understanding and complying with state and local laws that prohibit underage youth from drinking in their establishments.
The group will investigate the possibility of advocating for a social host ordinance in Sparks and in Washoe County. In addition, the group is in the process of contacting local judges to encourage them to make retail clerk training mandatory for those clerks cited for selling alcohol to minors. For information on how to get involved please email firstname.lastname@example.org.